The EMB Working Group on Ocean Oxygen kicked off on 21 and 22 June 2022. The aim of this Working Group is to write a Future Science Brief on the topic of Ocean Oxygen. The Science Brief will explain the science behind the statement ‘every second breath comes from the Ocean’ and communicate the threat of Ocean deoxygenation, which is heavily under-communicated. Specific topics will include the history of the oxygen cycle on Earth, the modern oxygen cycle, current Ocean deoxygenation, as well as knowledge gaps and recommendations. The Future Science Brief is expected to be published in summer 2023.
The second hybrid meeting was a success. The Working Group advanced considerably in the development of the document and developed a first draft of key recommendations.
The Working Group members are:
- Chair: Marilaure Grégoire, University of Liège, Belgium
- Co-Chair: Andreas Oschlies, GEOMAR, Germany
- Donald Canfield, University of Southern Denmark
- Carmen Castro, Instituto de Investigaciones Marinas (IIM - CSIC), Spain
- Irena Ciglenečki-Jušić, Ruđer Bošković Institute (IRB), Croatia
- Peter Croot, NUI Galway, Ireland
- Karine Salin, Ifremer, UMR LEMAR, France
- Birgit Schneider, University of Kiel, Germany
- Pablo Serret, Centro Investigación Mariña, University of Vigo, Spain
- Caroline Slomp, Utrecht University, Netherlands
- Tommaso Tesi, Institute of Polar Sciences, National Research Council, Italy
- Mustafa Yucel, Institute of Marine Sciences, Middle East Technical University, Turkey
The Working Group is receiving communication support from Jan Seys (VLIZ, Belgium), who is part of the EMB Communication Panel.
You can find out more about this working group here.